On July 30, 2016, Sasakawa USA and PHP Institute co-hosted an event in Tokyo at the ANA Intercontinental Hotel bringing together three senior former Japan Self-Defense Force members to discuss the role of the JSDF within the U.S.-Japan Alliance. Admiral Dennis Blair and General Ryoichi Oriki were present to provide further comments and analysis on the three speakers’ remarks.
The public event provided an opportunity to explore the core relationship of asymmetrical cooperation between the U.S. Armed Forces and JSDF, and discuss concrete ways in which the JSDF has contributed to sustaining and expanding the alliance.
Sasakawa USA anticipates releasing a report detailing its findings in these areas in early 2017.
Speakers and participants
• Lt. Gen. Masayuki Hironaka, Japan Air Self-Defense Force (Ret.); Research Fellow for National Security and Foreign Policy, Sasakawa USA
• VADM Masanori Yoshida, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (Ret.); Vice President, Sojitz Corporation, Washington D.C.
• Lt. Gen. Yoshikazu Watanabe, Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (Ret.); Senior Fellow, Harvard University Asia Center
• Gen. Ryoichi Oriki, Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (Ret.) Chief of Staff, Joint Staff
• Adm. Dennis C. Blair, U.S. Navy (Ret.); Chairman and CEO, Sasakawa USA
• Masafumi Kaneko, Senior Research Fellow, PHP Institute
• Retired SDF officers counter Trump’s remarks on security ties (Asahi Shimbun)
• （変わる安全保障）「日米同盟、日本はもっと負担を」 トランプ氏発言に異議あり (Asahi Shimbun, Japanese language version of above article)
• ブレア元米海軍司令官「日米、中国に勝つ」 元自衛隊３将官は改革提言 シンポジウムで (Sankei Shimbun, Japanese language only)