Sasakawa USA and Benchmark Mineral Intelligence hosted a unique event exploring the bottlenecks and opportunities in the lithium-ion battery supply chain, from raw material (lithium, graphite, cobalt) to the growth in electric vehicles and utility storage markets. Storage will change the way we produce and consume energy, and with an abundance of low cost lithium ion batteries on the horizon, this era is almost upon us. While much investment and attention is on EVs, the minerals and metals that supply them have taken a back seat. These niche mineral industries will have to evolve rapidly if the energy storage revolution is not going to be derailed.
This seminar was part of The Benchmark World Tour 2017, an annual series of investment seminars on the lithium-ion battery supply chain developed by Benchmark Mineral Intelligence.
12:30 p.m. | Registration and Buffet Lunch
1:00 p.m. | Welcome and Introduction
1:05 p.m. | Achieving a Sustainable Future in the Rare Metals Age
1:25 p.m. | The Rise of the Lithium Ion Battery Megafactories: What This Means for EVs and Secondary Storage
1:45 p.m. | Mineral Criticality: An Overview of Global Trends for Battery Materials
2:05 p.m. | Entropy is Your Friend: A Cyclical Look at Energy Metals Supply Chains
2:25 p.m. | The Cobalt Conundrum: What is the Future for Ethical Supply from DRC?
2:40 p.m. | Q&A with Speakers
3:30 p.m. | Adjourn; Meet the Speakers Drinks Reception on Third Floor, Sponsored by Cruz Cobalt Corp
• Ambassador James Zumwalt, CEO, Sasakawa USA
• David Abraham, Director, Technology, Rare, and Electronic Materials Center
• Simon Moores, Managing Director, Benchmark Mineral Intelligence
• Erin McCullough, Material Flow Analyst, United States Geological Survey (USGS)
• Chris Berry, President, House Mountain Partners
• Caspar Rawles, Analyst, Benchmark Mineral Intelligence